We are heading off this week to get our first taste of Great Britain and Ireland. We are drawn to visit by our love of history and literature, as well as our boy’s affinity to Harry Potter and Dr. Who. We plan to return one day to go more in-depth to this deeply historical place, but this is our plan of introduction (a British Isle buffet, if you will) to figure out where we shall return. We tend to travel pretty loosely and will easily change our plans if we are so inclined by fatigue or excitement. I hop this will help you to plan your one week Great Britain itinerary.
Day 0- Flight to Dublin, Ireland
Day 1- Dublin, Ireland
- One item on our bucket list was to stay in a castle, so we will be staying at Clontarf Castle Hotel, which we are super excited about!
- Kilmainham Gaol
- Book of Kells and Trinity College
- The Brazen Head Pub
- Viking Splash Tour
- Guinness Storehouse Tour or
- Malahide Castle and Howth
- Fly to Wales at 4 pm
- Night tour of Cardiff city center with Cardiff on Foot
- Sleeping at the Hilton Cardiff
Day 3- Cardiff, Bath and Stonehenge
We will be splitting up a bit today as we want to see different things. We will also have a car until London.
- One group will be Experiencing Dr. Who.
- The other is still deciding between Cardiff Castle interior tour or more time in Bath. Either way we are meeting up again in Bath, England.
- Roman Baths and Bath Abbey
- Sunset at Stonehenge (pre-booking required)
- We are staying the night in the Cotswolds at the Unicorn Hotel.
Day 4- A drive through the country side
- Drive to Stratford-Upon-Avon through the Cotswolds.
- Shakespeare’s Home and Anne Hathaway’s Gardens
- Warwick Castle
- We are staying the two nights at the Shendish Manor Hotel which is north of London by the Harry Potter Studio and Luton Airport.
- Tower of London
- Big Ben
- Westminster Abbey
- Other possibilities, depending on life- National Gallery, London Eye, tea
Day 6- Harry Potter Studios and fly to Edinburgh
Day 7 and 8- Edinburgh, Scotland
This will be our most relaxed days- we want to soak in this city. Also our splurge days with our hotel- The Waldorf-Astoria Caledonian
- Edinburgh Castle
- The Royal Mile
- Arthur’s Seat
- Greyfriar’s Kirkyard
- A high tea