Some of my best memories are from road trips throughout the United States, from historical New England to the west coast’s amazing coastline and national parks. Getting in your car and stopping wherever looks interesting is the perfect way to explore the expansive United States.
Below are starting points and recommendations of ways to spend a day driving in a specific locale or even whole road trips. This page will continually be growing, so continue to visit. Enjoy and have a fantastic U.S. road trip with help from this U.S. road trip planner!
The United States is very large, so consult a map in your planning.
Table of Contents
U.S. Road Trips by Geographic Region
Midwest Road Trip Travel Guide
With inspiring song lyrics such as “amber waves of grains,” the Midwest has wide open spaces and friendly locals.
Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska
- A Road Trip from Arkansas to Nebraska from The Daily Adventures of Me
- 24 Hours in Indianapolis from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Route 66 Through Kansas by Midwest Wanderer
Michigan and Wisconsin
- A Lake Michigan Circle Tour by The Daily Adventures of Me
- Introduction to Custer State Park from Dang Travelers
Northeast U.S. Road Trips
The northeast is the perfect place to experience the four seasons, with gorgeous mountains, quaint towns, famous islands, and stunning shorelines.
- The Jersey Shore by Travelationship
- 9-Day New York State Road Trip including Ithaca, Mining, and Niagara Falls, Canada from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Hudson River Valley, Part 1 from Travelationship
- Hudson River Valley, Part 2 from Travelationship
- Explore Saratoga Springs from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Philadelphia from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Pennsylvania Dutch Country from Travelationship
Best New England Road Trips
- New England Road Trip Planner from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Check out my all-New England blog, Adventures in New England
- Exploring the Connecticut River Valley from The Daily Adventures of Me
- A Weekend Getaway to Eastern Connecticut from the Daily Adventures of Me
- Mystic, Connecticut from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Why I Love the Western Mountains of Maine from The Daily Adventures of Me
- A Fall Visit to Acadia National Park from The Daily Adventures of Me
- 47 Cool Things to Do in Portland, Maine from The Daily Adventures of Me
- 4-Day Fall New Hampshire Road Trip from Adventures in New England
- 48 Hours in Rhode Island from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Scenic Route 100 from Back Road Ramblers
- A Road Trip from Boston to Montreal from The Daily Adventures of Me
- A Weekend in Woodstock, Vermont from The Daily Adventures of Me
- 17 Fabulous Day Trips from Boston from The Daily Adventures of Me
Southwest Road Trip Ideas
The deserts of the southwest U.S. are a sight to behold. Be sure also to explore our Native American history.
- Southern Road Trip Through California, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona from Make Time to See the World
- The Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National Park from The Daily Adventures of Me
- A Winter Northern Arizona Road Trip Itinerary from The Daily Adventures of Me
- A Bizarre Road Trip Stop: Driving From California to Las Vegas: What Is Really on Zzyzx Road? from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Southern US Road Trip Through New Mexico, Texas, and Louisiana from Make Time to See the World
Road Tripping the Southern U.S.
Although summers can be excruciatingly hot, the green trees, swamps, food, history, and southern charm make the Southeast U.S. one of my favorite areas.
- 15 Amazing Stops to Make on an Alabama Road Trip from Just Go Places
- Pensacola to New Orleans Road Trip from The Daily Adventure of Me
- Miami to Key West, Florida from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Horses, Bourbon, and Hot Brown: 24 Hours in Lexington, Kentucky from The Daily Adventures of Me
- 3-Day Road Trip to Louisiana, Including New Orleans from The Daily Adventures of Me
- A Washington, DC to New Orleans Road Trip from Lili’s Travel Plans
- Frederick County from Travelationship
- Road Trip Outside of Charleston from The Daily Adventures of Me
- East Coast Road Trip through Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, D.C., Pennsylvania and New York from Make Time to See the World
- Richmond, Virginia from Travelationship
- Road Tripping West Virginia from The Daily Adventures of Me
West Coast USA Road Trip Planner
The west coast is the best coast for a road trip, with beaches, gigantic redwood forests, missions, and Hollywood.
- Through John Steinbeck Country– Central California from Trip Wellness
- Highlights of Road Tripping Through Oregon from Pack Me To
- Road Tripping Through Central Oregon from A Jaunt With Joy
- Road Tripping Down the Oregon Coast from A Jaunt With Joy
Explore the Open Western US
Colorado by Vin Crosbie on Flickr
Including the fabulous Rocky Mountains and the majestically carved stones of our national parks, the West should be part of anyone’s bucket list.
- 8 Epic Things to Do in Estes Park, Colorado from Pages of Travel
- Royal Arches to Rocky Mountain National Park from 33andFree
- Glacier National Park from Dang Travelers
- Southwest National Parks Road Trip- Arizona to Utah by Expedition Hobo
- Road Trip Through Yellowstone National Park from Dang Travelers
Alaska Road Trips
On an Alaskan road trip, you will see unspoiled beauty and more wildlife than you can imagine!
- Anchorage to Fairbanks Road Trip, Stopping in Denali National Park from The Daily Adventures of Me
Canada Road Trip Itineraries
Although Canada is obviously not in the U.S., its proximity makes it the perfect country in which to continue your U.S. road trip. The first road trip I drove was from Boston to Quebec, which started my love for the travel genre!
- Road Trip Through Ontario, Canada from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Road Trip Through Quebec, Canada from Continents & Condiments
- Around Quebec City from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Banff National Park to Jasper National Park from 33andFree
If you are taking your road trip in an RV, check out my Beginner’s Guide to RVing.
Where is your favorite US road trip?
9 thoughts on “47 Fabulous US Road Trip Itineraries”
I bookmarked this page and it’s going to be my reference for travel in 2017 – 2018. Thanks!
Have a great time traveling.
Oh these are so awesome! Bucket list goal is to visit every state. This summer we drove through Kansas on i-70 and I was pleasantly surprised by all the cool things we wanted to stop at and check out.
How many more do you have to go?