We are heading off this week to get our first taste of Great Britain and Ireland. We are drawn to visit by our love of history and literature, as well as our boy’s affinity to Harry Potter and Dr. Who. We plan to return one day to go more in-depth to this deeply historical place, but this is our plan of introduction (a British Isle buffet, if you will) to figure out where we shall return. We tend to travel pretty loosely and will easily change our plans if we are so inclined by fatigue or excitement.
Day 0- Flight to Dublin, Ireland
Day 1- Dublin, Ireland
- One item on our bucket list was to stay in a castle, so we will be staying at Clontarf Castle Hotel, which we are super excited about!
- Kilmainham Gaol
- Book of Kells and Trinity College
- The Brazen Head Pub
- Viking Splash Tour
- Guinness Storehouse Tour or
- Malahide Castle
- Fly to Wales at 4 pm
- Night tour of Cardiff city center with Cardiff on Foot
- Sleeping at the Hilton Cardiff
Day 3- Cardiff, Bath and Stonehenge
We will be splitting up a bit today as we want to see different things. We will also have a car until London.
- One group will be Experiencing Dr. Who
- The other is still deciding between Cardiff Castle interior tour or more time in Bath. Either way we are meeting up again in Bath, England.
- Roman Baths and Bath Abbey
- Sunset at Stonehenge (pre-booking required)
- If we aren’t totally exhausted, we may drive into Salisbury for dinner, but we are staying the night near Stonehenge.
Day 4- A drive through the country side
- Drive to Stratford-Upon-Avon through the Cotswolds
- Shakespeare’s Home and Anne Hathaway’s Gardens
- Warwick Castle
- We are staying the next two nights at Shendish Manor Hotel in England
- Tower of London
- Big Ben
- Westminster Abbey
- Other possibilities, depending on life- National Gallery, London Eye, tea
Day 6- Harry Potter Studios and fly to Edinburgh
Day 7 and 8- Edinburgh, Scotland
This will be our most relaxed days- we want to soak in this city. Also our splurge days with our hotel- The Waldorf-Astoria Caledonian
- Edinburgh Castle
- The Royal Mile
- Arthur’s Seat
- Greyfriar’s Kirkyard
- A high tea
We are really excited for this trip and to share it all with you when we return! To make sure you don’t miss any of the posts, please subscribe to get our newsletter. I hope you enjoy!