Some of my best memories are from road trips all around the United States from historical New England to the west coast’s amazing coastline and national parks. Getting in your car and stopping wherever looks interesting is the perfect way to explore the expansive United States. Below are starting points and recommendations of ways to spend a day driving in a specific locale or even whole road trips. This page will continually be growing, so continue to visit. Enjoy and have an amazing US road trip with help from this US road trip planner!
Table of Contents
US Road Trip by Geographic Region
Midwest Road Trip Travel Guide
Inspiring song lyrics such as “amber waves of grains”, the Midwest has wide open spaces and friendly locals.
- 24 Hours in Indianapolis from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Route 66 Through Kansas by Midwest Wanderer
Michigan and Wisconsin
- A Lake Michigan Circle Tour by The Daily Adventures of Me
Introduction to Custer State Park from Dang Travelers
Northeast US Road Trips
The northeast is the perfect place to experience the four seasons, complete with gorgeous mountains, quaint towns, famous islands and stunning shorelines.
- The Jersey Shore by Travelationship
- 9-Day New York State Road Trip including Ithaca, Mining and Niagara Falls, Canada from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Hudson River Valley, Part 1 from Travelationship
- Hudson River Valley, Part 2 from Travelationship
- Explore Saratoga Springs from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Philadelphia from The Thought Card
- Pennsylvania Dutch Country from Travelationship
Best New England Road Trips
- New England Road Trip Planner from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Check out my all New England blog, Adventures in New England
- Exploring the Connecticut River Valley from The Daily Adventures of Me
- A Weekend Getaway to Eastern Connecticut from the Daily Adventures of Me
- Why I Love the Western Mountains of Maine from The Daily Adventures of Me
- A Fall Visit to Acadia National Park from The Daily Adventures of Me
- 47 Cool Things to Do in Portland, Maine from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Hiking in Mt. Garfield from Roar Loud: Adventures of a Curious Type
- The Secrets of Mt. Monadnock from Roar Loud
48 Hours in Rhode Island from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Scenic Route 100 from Back Road Ramblers
- A Road Trip from Boston to Montreal from The Daily Adventures of Me
- A Weekend in Woodstock, Vermont from The Daily Adventures of Me
- 17 Fabulous Day Trips from Boston from The Daily Adventures of Me
Southwest Road Trip Ideas
The deserts of the southwest US are a sight to behold. Be sure to also explore our native American history.
- Southern Road Trip Through California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona from Make Time to see the World
- The Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National Park from The Daily Adventures of Me
- A Winter Northern Arizona Road Trip Itinerary from The Daily Adventures of Me
- A Bizarre Road Trip Stop: Driving From California to Las Vegas: What Is Really on Zzyzx Road? from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Southern US Road Trip Through New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana from Make Time to See the World
- Dallas to Vancouver, Canada from Adoration 4 Adventure
Road Tripping the Southeast US
Although summers can be excruciatingly hot, the green trees and swamps, food, history and southern charm make the southeast US one of my favorite areas.
- 15 Amazing Stops to Make on an Alabama Road Trip from Just Go Places
- Street Art in Miami, Florida from Roar Loud
- Miami to Key West, Florida from The Daily Adventures of Me
- Jekyll Island from the Bohemian Bowmans
- Georgia to British Columbia (through the Midwest and Pacific Northwest) from the Bohemian Bowmans
- Horses, Bourbon, and Hot Brown: 24 Hours in Lexington, Kentucky from The Daily Adventures of Me
- 3 Day Road Trip to Louisiana Including New Orleans from The Daily Adventures of Me
- A DC to New Orleans Road Trip from Lili’s Travel Plans
- Frederick County from Travelationship
- Road Trip Outside of Charleston from The Daily Adventures of Me
- East Coast Road Trip through Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, D.C., Pennsylvania and New York from Make Time to see the World
- Richmond, Virginia from Travelationship
- Road Tripping West Virginia from The Daily Adventures of Me
West Coast USA Road Trip Planner
The west coast is the best coast and perfect for a road trip!
A West Coast(ish) Road Trip– from the Bohemian Bowmans
Oregon to San Francisco- The Pacific Coast from Cathy Flew the Coop
- San Diego to Las Vegas, NV from Backstreet Nomad
- Angeles Crest Highway from Joeology
- 17-Mile Drive in Pebble Beach, Northern Ca from Joeography
- Ortega Highway from Joeography
- San Gabriel Highway from Joeography
- Through John Steinbeck Country– Central California from Trip Wellness
- The Lost Coast Trip- 13 Less-Visited Places in California from Thorpe Travel Site
- Highlights of Road Tripping Through Oregon from Pack Me To
- Road Tripping Through Central Oregon from A Jaunt With Joy
- Road Tripping Down the Oregon Coast from A Jaunt With Joy
Explore the Open West US
Colorado by Vin Crosbie on Flickr
Including the fabulous Rocky Mountains and the majestic carved stones of our national parks, the west should be part of anyone’s bucket list.
- On the Road from San Francisco to Colorado from Scratch the List
- 8 Epic Things to do in Estes Park, Colorado from Pages of Travel
- Royal Arches to Rocky Mountain National Park from 33andFree
- Glacier National Park from Dang Travelers
- Southwest National Parks Road Trip- Arizona to Utah by Expedition Hobo
- Road Trip Through Yellowstone National Park from Dang Travelers
Canada Road Trip Itineraries
Although Canada is obviously not in the US, its proximity makes it the perfect country in which to continue your US road trip. My first road trip that I did the driving for was from Boston to Quebec and started my love for the travel genre!
Road Trip Through Ontario, Canada from The Daily Adventures of Me
Road Trip Through Quebec, Canada from Continents & Condiments
Around Quebec City from The Daily Adventures of Me
Banff National Park to Jasper National Park from 33andFree
9 thoughts on “Ultimate US Road Trip Planner”
I bookmarked this page and it’s going to be my reference for travel in 2017 – 2018. Thanks!
Have a great time traveling.
Oh these are so awesome! Bucket list goal is to visit every state. This summer we drove through Kansas on i-70 and I was pleasantly surprised by all the cool things we wanted to stop at and check out.
How many more do you have to go?