This post is sponsored by Discover Boating but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
- Water is a place of peace. Where are you the most at peace? For me the answer is definitely surrounded by water. Modern life is so fast and full of distractions. Being on the water provides a perfect way to get away from them. 82% of Americans say being around water is relaxing according to a Discover Boating Survey.
- Boats are a great place to get uninterrupted time with people you love. Some of the strongest memories that I have as a child are weekends spent on our sailboat, Gitana in Long Beach, California a short drive from where I grew up. She wasn’t a huge boat, but we never felt cramped and had a wonderful time together.
- Boats are a perfect place to make memories with your family. As my oldest turns 14, I am acutely aware of the need to make memories with my family now. Don’t let another summer go by without spending quality time with the ones you love.
- Boating activities are inclusive. There are so many activities to do from your boat. Whether you are all about the boat ride, want to see great scenery or to kayak in a private cove off of your boat, shellfish at a beach or get a thrill from water skiing off of your motor boat, there is something that will make everyone in your family happy on the water.
- My sons love to fish off the boat. Find out about getting a fishing license.
- Boating is more accessible than you think. The majority of boat owners are middle class. You can buy a new or used boat, ranging from pricey to pretty affordable. Research which boat is the best fit for your family with the Boat Selector Tool. I don’t have a boat now, but rent one from a nearby dock when I want to get out on the water. You can find a boat rental near you with the Go Boating Today Tool.
- There is a lot of learning available for your kids on a boat. My middle son has attended sailing camp each summer for the last couple of years. Sailing has taught him about planning, weather and geometry. Soon he will be able to captain us around the bay. It keeps him happy and safely busy each summer. He even plans to join the sailing team when he goes to high school. Find a sailing camp near you for your kids this summer. My youngest loves learning about the sea animals we find on our boating excursions.
- Boating is social. Not only with your family, but with other boaters– boaters are some of the friendliest people I have met.
- Boating is an active, healthy summer activity. 72% of Americans feel healthier after spending time on the water according to the Discover Boating survey.
- 84% of parents think their kids would be more likely to unplug on a boat trip versus a road trip according to the Discover Boating survey. I spent the majority of my time on my parents boat reading on the bow while eating peanut butter sandwiches. My sons are generally out interacting with the water.
- Boating is a perfect family activity. Spend time together, enjoying nature and the thrill of the water.
For more boating videos, check out Discover Boating’s Video Vault.
What is keeping you from getting out on the water this summer?
For more about my boating life check out 7 Ways to Explore New England by Boat and Start Them Early: Sail Together.
8 thoughts on “Top Ten Reasons to Take a Boating Vacation This Summer”
I love taking a boat out on a calm lake. There is something about being out there with no one around and just the water.
I agree, Bob. It is so relaxing.
I only need one reason for a boating staycation. I didn’t even know you could do this! I’m so excited to research this more.
You don’t have to tell me twice! I’ve been trying to get my family to do this for years – I imagine it to be the most perfect and relaxing way to spend a week. We have spent a week canoe camping, but it’s just not the same!
That sounds like a great vacation too!
Sounds amazing! Being so far away from the rush of the city, it really sounds like a true vacation to me!
And boating in safe in social distancing!