The exhilaration of swishing quickly down snow-covered slopes, warm nights by the fire playing board games while snow falls outside, time together spent on ski lift chairs talking about life- a ski vacation is one of my family’s favorite winter bonding times. Living in Rhode Island, family skiing in New Hampshire is our go-to winter get away.
New Hampshire is full of ski resorts, both Alpine and cross-country. Most of the resorts are set among cute, mountain towns throwing back to the 1980s and full of many family activities. Here is a list of all of New Hampshire’s ski resorts. The snow is not as powdery as Utah or Colorado where I learned to ski, but the convenience and family friendliness make it a great choice for my family . It is much warmer than Canadian skiing. Our last trip, we skied a gorgeous 40 degree day- and it was January!
What I love about Loon Mountain
- Loon is a large, family friendly mountain resort.
- Childcare is available for very young kids.
- This expansive mountain has many long, green runs from the top of the mountain. Therefore, this mountain a perfect place for kids as they get the hang of skiing or snowboarding.
- An exciting snow tubing and snowboarding park on property.
- Set in the town of Lincoln, New Hampshire, one of my family’s favorite New England towns.
- Near the Ice Castles and Santa’s Village.
- Inexpensive lift and rental tickets. We found deals for all our lessons, child and adult, on the day we went.
- Near North Conway, a very popular New Hampshire town.
- With your lift tickets, you can use three different mountains, Attitash, Bear Peak and Wildcat.
- Only the lower mountains are appropriate for beginning skiers. You have to be an intermediate skier to ride the blue and black runs from the top.
- Abenaki Terrain Park is known for its snowboard and freeskiing terrain.
- Employees are the friendliest and most helpful I have come across in any ski resort I have ever been to.
- Go to nearby Cranmore to Snow Tube after skiing.
Where to stay
Here are a few places we have stayed that we love:
- The Cranmore Inn is a quaint Bed and Breakfast near Attitash. The owners will take good care of you and it is a short walk to the shops and restaurants of North Conway.
- The Darby Field Inn in Conway is set back in the forest and has a spa.
- With ski rentals and a free shuttle to Loon The Village at Loon Mountain is a convenient choice when skiing at Loon.
Where to Eat
We are obsessed with the American fare at The Common Man. There will always be a long wait, but you need time to enjoy the complimentary cheese offerings anyway. Dinner always ends with their yummy white chocolate.
Both of these resorts have excellent lessons for kids and adults. So, get out with your family and make New Hampshire skiing part of your winter plans! Where is your favorite place to ski? Let me know in the comments.
To see more of why we love New Hampshire read