This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #OneStopKittyShop #CollectiveBias
With three busy boys and a male puppy, we were not planning on adding another pet to our household. Then one day a friend saw a someone throw a kitten out of their car. She offered me the little girl kitten and I thought this is fate- finally a little girl for our house. We named her Lily. Long story short, my friend was wrong about Lily being a girl. So, now we have a sixth boy in my house, Chimichanga. I was also wrong about how adding a cat would be too much additional stress in our household. It has actually been the opposite. The boys not only adore the cat, but has been the greatest tool at reducing stress in our house for my anxious kid. The cat has been more effective then meditation for him! We are so thankful for Chimi, we decided to make a gift for him to celebrate the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday. He is always trying to jump onto the window sills to see the world. I guess he is drawn to nature like his mommy. And the boys love building things, so we came up with this easy DIY cat perch with scratching post! It cost less than $20 to make and was a fun activity to do with my boys (and one girl helper who wanted to join us).
Tools needed to build your easy DIY cat perch with scratching post:
- marking pen
- vice grips
- safety goggles
- utility knife
- glue gun
Supplies needed to build your easy DIY cat perch with scratching post:
- 8-inch cylindrical building form
- 18x13x1:” pine board
- three 1×3″ pieces of pine board
- 3 simple shelf brackets
- 22 2″ long wood screws thin enough to fit in your shelf bracket holes.
- can of gap filler
- 12×1 feet of any carpet without loops, which could catch kitty’s fingers.
- double-sided adhesive tape, spray adhesive and/or heavy-duty stapler
- paracord and toys, as needed for accessories
- Cut building form to desired height with a handsaw. Mine was 2 1/2 feet tall, just the right height for Chimi to look out of the window.
- Mark form at bottom of tube where screws need to go for brackets to serve as well-balanced legs for your cat stand.
- Attach wood to inside of form, behind where you will be attaching bracket using vice grip. Drill nail through bracket securing it to form, using wood to stabilize your screws.
- Use marker to mark a circle in the center of your board the size of your form. Place 10 evenly placed dots for screws to retain hardened gap filler.
- Using drill, attach retaining screws.
- Place form, bracket side up over retaining screws which should also be facing up.
- In a well-ventilated area, with eye protection and gloves on, spray gap filler over exposed screws on your board, making sure to fill cavity to the edges, as this also will adhere to gap filler.
- Allow to dry for 24 hours.
- Glue any accessories that you would like hanging down from the top of your perch.
- Cut strips of carpet using a utility knife. Adhere carpet to your post and board using double-sided carpet tape. You must hold carpet in place firmly for manufacturer recommended time. For extra security, also use spray adhesive or staples.
- Introduce kitty to the perch by putting some treats, like DentaLife cat treats on the top. These treats are made more porous to reduce tartar build-up, so I can take care of Chimi’s teeth like I do the rest of my family. Here is a coupon for $2 off treats for your cat.
Having a cat has been much easier than we thought. I can buy everything I need for Chimichanga when I do my regular shopping at Stop and Shop. My oldest son has been really responsible about cleaning the litter box. It is easiest for him to clean with a clumping litter, so we pick up Tidy Cats 24/7 Performance with TidyLock™ when we are shopping. Find the litter that is right for your family.
We also buy his Friskies dry food and his Fancy Feast wet food, which he loves the most. My two younger sons are responsible for feeding him. You can pick up your Stop & Shop Savory Magazine to save $2.00 on any one (1) package of Purina® Tidy Cats® brand Cat Litter when you purchase one (1) Purina® Friskies® OR Fancy Feast® Wet Cat Food Item.
What a gift to us Chimichanga is and such a low-maintenance pet with Stop and Shop’s help! He is a great lesson for the boys in responsibility and a joy to us all!