Living in a place with winter can cause Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or the “Winter Blues”. Most people don’t have unlimited time or money to take a trip every winter, so a “Breakation” can be the perfect answer. According to Urban Dictionary a breakation is a period of time off too long to be a break, not long enough to be a vacation. Here are five reasons that going away for even 24 hours can give you just the boost that you need. Interspersed will be pictures from the breakaction that my family just took, one hour from our house, to the Water’s Edge Resort and Spa in Westbrook, Ct.
- You can leave your work and laundry at home. If you are anything like me, when you are at home and see a mess around the house or undone laundry it is hard to leave it undone. And for me I always have some blogging work I could do. So leaving my computer at home and leaving the house allows me to really relax
- You can get warm, even when it is cold out. This weekend was so very cold and we did make a strange, but beautiful decision to go beach combing, but we always pick hotels with a Jacuzzi and pool to be comfortable in spite of the snow falling outside. I also like to pick hotels with a water view, like the scene from our balcony room above. I spent some relaxing time reading near the window watching the waves and the snow falling. Water always makes me immediately relax. My only non-travel bucket list item is to live on it in real life. Another way we have enjoyed warmth is to go to an indoor water park overnight, such Coco Keys or Great Wolf Lodge. The kids love it, so it is something we love to do, but it is not as peaceful as the beach for the parents and was not a budget choice this weekend.
- It is generally cheaper than a real vacation. Getting a room off-season at a resort is usually a fraction of the in-season prices and off-season you won’t be confined by multi-night requirements.
- A change of scenery can be just the reset your mood needs. I am someone who thrives on adventure and change and even 24 hours in a different place puts my whole family in a better mood.
- Uninterrupted family time. When life is chaotic, as family life can often be, it is easy to forget how wonderful these people we walk through life with are. When we put down our electronics and are stuck in a little room together without stress, we are reminded of it. Particularly if your day can end by some reading time cuddling in front of a roaring fire watching the ocean. Time is a gift.
What was your best breakation? Do you have a tradition to help you get through winter?