I am an active mom of three boys. To keep us healthy and spend quality time together we love to get out into our surrounding area by hiking. With mountains, forest and varied coastlines New England has so much to offer. Whether you want a long hike in the woods or a short hike along the ocean these are some of the best hiking spots in New England. Read on to find the perfect hike to meet your family’s needs.
- 1 My Family’s Favorite New England Hikes
- 1.1 1. Purgatory Chasm, Sutton, Massachusetts
- 1.2 2. Kent’s Point, Orleans, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- 1.3 3. Lonesome Lake, Lincoln, New Hampshire
- 1.4 4. Stepping Stone Falls, Arcadia Management Area, Rhode Island
- 1.5 5. Talcott Mountain, Simsbury, Connecticut
- 1.6 6. Flume Gorge, Lincoln, New Hampshire
- 1.7 7. Tumbledown Mountain, Franklin County, Maine
- 1.8 8. Elmore Mountain, Elmore, Vermont
- 1.9 9. Norman Bird Sanctuary, Middletown, Rhode Island
- 1.10 10. Cadillac Mountain Summit Path, Acadia National Park, Maine
My Family’s Favorite New England Hikes
1. Purgatory Chasm, Sutton, Massachusetts
This is definitely my boys’ favorite and the hike that they ask to repeat over and over. They love that it can involve a fair amount of bouldering! If you aren’t up for the thrill of that, you can scramble over the bottom of the gully. This hike may be scary or too difficult for small kids. Read more about our hiking at Purgatory Chasm.
2. Kent’s Point, Orleans, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Cape Cod has some of our best shoreline and this 1.5 mile easy hike will take you by it, as well as on a pond. If you are lucky that day you can also spot a great blue heron.
3. Lonesome Lake, Lincoln, New Hampshire
This is a full day hike up to an ATP cabin where you can enjoy lunch on top of the mountain with a gorgeous view of Lonesome Lake. I especially enjoy the beauty of the marshes along the lake. Read one for more of our favorite family hikes in New Hampshire.
4. Stepping Stone Falls, Arcadia Management Area, Rhode Island
Although this hike can be tricky to find, the small continuous falls along this short hike are a perfect place to take small kids to interact with nature.
5. Talcott Mountain, Simsbury, Connecticut
Climbing up to Hublein Tower provides one of my favorite views of New England in the fall. You can see all the way into Massachusetts! Read on for more of my favorite New England fall activities.
6. Flume Gorge, Lincoln, New Hampshire
Covered bridges, caves for exploring, waterfalls and mountain views all found along a natural chasm- the perfect recipe for a New Hampshire family day in nature.
7. Tumbledown Mountain, Franklin County, Maine
We are big fans of the granite stone walls and coniferous beauty of western Maine. It is not an easy, but this spectacular full day hike will give you an overview of what this area of New England has to offer. Read on for all the details about climbing Tumbledown Mountain.
8. Elmore Mountain, Elmore, Vermont
A 4.4 mile moderate hike ending in a climb up a fire tower for spectacular views of Vermont’s scenery.
9. Norman Bird Sanctuary, Middletown, Rhode Island
As the name implies you can catch a glimpse of some unique bird species, but this family-friendly hike also ends with a view of Second Beach in Newport. It is a great blend of forest, wild life and coastline.
10. Cadillac Mountain Summit Path, Acadia National Park, Maine
This US National Park is one of my favorites and the view from this short paved path is unbelievable, so it tops my list!
What are your favorite New England Hikes? Be Sure to let me know in the comments.