Fall is an ideal time for a romantic road trip among the colorful leaves and Canada is the perfect place for it! My one week road trip itinerary will provide something for everyone with plenty of leaf peeping opportunities. I have suggested using Niagara Falls, Toronto and Ottawa’s Radisson hotels as home bases. The towns are full of many activities and make a good base. Radisson’s flexibility in check out times and the local style of each individual hotel makes them an ideal brand to use on your road trip.
Start in Niagara Falls, Ontario
A highlight for any bucket list, the falls in summer can be very crowded, so fall is the perfect time to see its splendor. Here are some Niagara Falls highlights:
- Visit the falls.
- The Niagara Food and Wine Festival takes place in September.
- Catch the Rocky Horror Picture Show at Old Fort Erie.
- Explore Haunt Manor, a haunted house of sorts, set on the real bloody battlefield of Lundy Lane.
- For more ideas, read my 10 Great Family Activities Around Niagara Falls or 48 Hours in Niagara Falls with Kids.
Drive through Niagara-on-the-Lake
You must stop at this quaint, little town on the shore of Lake Ontario to visit its vineyards and take in its character.
Stay in Toronto, Ontario
- A must-see for any shoe loving woman, visit the Bata Shoe Museum.
- Royal Museum Ontario contains natural history, art and culture and is Canada’s largest museum.
- Dine at the swanky Hotel Le St-James.
- See the foliage by rail on the VIA Rail Sudbury-White River Train.
- Visit the city’s Tot the Cat Cafe!
- Enjoy an all-night modern art festival on October 1, 2016, Nuit Blanche.
- Take a walk in nature in any of Toronto’s parks or the Kortright Centre for Conservation.
Drive through Algonquin Provincial Park
By driving through this park, you will see the transition of Canada’s birch and maple forest to deciduous forest. You can hike the exterior or canoe through any of its numerous lakes. This is a great park to catch a view of a moose.
Stay in Ottawa, Ontario
Finish your Ontario road trip in Canada’s capital city, Ottawa, where you will find many museums, learn a lot about this country and see some great sights. Here are a few to check out:
- Take a picture under the Maman Sculpture of a humongous spider outside of the National Gallery of Canada to use as your Halloween card.
- Visit Parliament Hill, first taking a tour inside to learn of this countries history, then taking in the panoramic views.
- Make sure to be here on a Saturday when you can join the cities residents on a walk through the closed parkway.
- Get lost in Saunder’s Farms, the world’s largest selection on hedge mazes.
- Take a haunted walking tour of the city.
- Visit Gatineau Park to walk among its many leave celebrating this glorious season with the Fall Rhapsody Festival throughout the month of October.
The Giveaway has ended! Congratulations to our winner Michelle Tremblett who is planning to use her voucher to stay at the Radisson Toronto Waterfront! You are welcome, Michelle. I am glad to see your positive attitude rewarded. She had wished everyone else luck! Watch your inbox, Michelle! Winner was drawn at random by a third party random.org.
Be sure to enter my current giveaway running until July 7, 2017 here.
Be sure to subscribe to be part of future giveaways!