- I am a small business owner and the mom of three boys, so I only had four days to travel. Being located halfway between Europe and North America, Iceland is a convenient place to go. The flight was only a little over a four hours from Boston on Iceland Air, which is a lovely and affordable airline. If you are travelling between the US and continental Europe, this airline also has a free layover program so that you can check out Iceland.
- I wanted to be able to check something off my bucket list while I’m still kicking and there are so many possibilities in Iceland. Mine specifically was to see the Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis which can be seen in Iceland from September through April. In the winter Iceland has complete darkness, but in the fall, we had a nice long day, with dark skies to see the lights. Since my birthday is in November the timing was perfect. We also snowmobiled on a glacier and got a floating massage, which weren’t on my bucket list, but would be now.
- I am not a fan of cold temperatures, but because of its location on the North Atlantic Current, coastal Iceland retains temperatures between 30-60*F year round.
- I’m not into crowds and fall is Iceland’s off season, so I could see the Northern Lights and be chill and surrounded by nature.
- I love to be active and adventurous. Iceland’s hiking is amazing and the sights are some of the prettiest I have ever seen! Any adventure you can imagine you can find there. I want to go back to go caving in an ice cave and explore the volcanoes.
- I wanted something totally different than my own home. The people are different, fun, kind of tongue-in-cheek. The food was great, really fresh and we tried some unique things.
This was a trip of a life time! Subscribe here for more of my adventures directly to your inbox or click to read Part 2: Reykjavik and the Golden Circle or Part 3: Southern Iceland Road Trip: Waterfalls, Snowmobiling on Glaciers and Viewing the Northern Lights.
This was the random sign that was the first thing I saw when I got off the airplane in Iceland. What an predictive and perfect start to the trip and my 40s!